Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Getting in shape

I've been thinking alot about getting in shape for summer. What's been on my mind is joining Weight Watchers but when I think of the cost, I hesitate. I've joined in the past and it does work...if you do it. My history of sticking with it is shaky at best. In all honesty I would have no problem paying the money if I had the confidence in myself that I would stick to the program. What I wind up doing is joining and eating any way that I want and hope for a lose. I'm not sure I would stay true to the program anymore.

There is a place online that I have joined in the past called Sparkspeople. It's an online site where you can input your current weight and your goal weight and it will estimate how long it will take using a two pound a week guideline. They also have different accountability functions that, when used, work well. So, in the spirit of frugality, I'm going to be joining Sparkspeople and monitor my weight lose there. My goal over the next "however long it takes" months is approximately 85 pounds. I will be happy with any lose from where I am now, to there. This will function as my "accountability".

Next is exercise. I do have a treadmill given to me by my Mom. Actually it was given for Louis to use when I homeschooled him as gym equipment. He is the only one who still uses it. I will make a commitment to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at least 5 times a week. We also have On Demand on our television and they have a section on Fitness. There are many exercise selections to work on specific areas and overall physical fitness. I'm going to commit to tuning in and participating at least 4 times a week.

I've also been committed on and off to eventually running a 5K. There is a site that shows how you can go from the couch to running a 5K in two months. I'll post the site in the near future. That sounds like something Sarah, Louis and I could do together.

I'm also planning on not buying any "diet" foods. I'm going to continue to shop for my family and focus on portion control rather then spending extra money on Weight Watcher's products and low fat items. I do buy low fat snack cakes for us, since I still have my coffee in the afternoon. Other than that I'm going to watch my portion sizes at dinner, etc.

Not sure if it was last year or the year before but I was dieting and realized that my grocery bill had almost doubled for the month with buying all the special foods that where out there. The diet ice creams, muffins, even low fat bologna and cheese is so much more expensive than buying the regular items. In the end the difference in calories is minimum as you still have to watch the portion sizes.

No comments: